New Information Pages
LegalAve has just released new Information Pages. Learn more about these topics in Alberta, including what the law says, legal processes, common questions, and myths.
Updated Information Pages
LegalAve has updated the following Information Pages:
- Living Together: Common Law Partnerships & Adult Interdependent Relationships
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Negotiation, Mediation, Arbitration, & Collaborative Family Law
- Property Division for Married Spouses
- Pre-nuptial & Marriage Agreements
- Non-romantic Adult Interdependent Relationships
Visit the Legal Topics page to view all Information Pages on LegalAve.
New Common Questions
- Can I get married in Alberta if I’m under 18 years old?
- Can I marry someone who is still in the process of getting divorced?
- My spouse and I were married in another country. Do we have to register our marriage in Alberta to have our marriage recognized here?
- Is an arranged marriage the same thing as a forced marriage?
- I just married a someone who already has three children. Do I automatically become the children’s legal guardian?
- What does it mean to be “habitually resident” or “ordinarily resident” in Alberta?
- What’s the difference between legal information and legal advice?
Visit www.legalave.ca/common-questions for a complete list of all the common questions about family law on LegalAve.
- If we live together long enough, we’re considered “married” under the law.
- After we get married, we each automatically own 50% of the property.
- Getting married automatically cancels my pre-marriage Will.
- If I marry a Canadian, I will automatically become a Canadian citizen.
- My Canadian lawyer will be able to help me if I run into a legal problem with a property I bought in Arizona.
- If I contact any law society, they can recommend a good lawyer for me.
- Representing yourself in court is easy.
Visit www.legalave.ca/myths for a complete list of all the myths about family law on LegalAve.
Visit www.legalave.ca/lexicon for a list of legal terms and definitions used on LegalAve.